The US is deploying up to three ,500 more troops to the center East during a show of force, a Pentagon official said Friday, after an American drone killed a top Iranian general.
The reinforcements will come from the 82nd Airborne Division’s Global Response Force, which already supplied several hundred extra troops to the region earlier in the week as tensions grew over an attack on the US embassy in Baghdad.
A Department of Defense spokesperson said that the 82nd Airborne’s Immediate Response Force brigade had already been notified earlier in the week that they might be sent to the region.
“The brigade will deploy to Kuwait as an appropriate and precautionary action in response to increased threat levels against US personnel and facilities, and can assist in reconstituting the reserve,” the official said.
The move came as tensions soared following the US killing of Qasem Soleimani, the top of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ operations arm, whom Washington said was behind attacks on US facilities in Iraq in recent months.